Thursday, November 8, 2012

Indian House

My friend invited a few of us for lunch at Indian House in Boat Quay.  All of us had never been there before and we thought we will try it out.

The restaurant looks very simple with no fancy deco.  We chose to sit at the outdoor area facing the river with a wonderful view of the Singapore skyline.  We were lucky as the weather was great with a lovely breeze to go along...

We decided to order almost immediately as we were really hungry (it's great when everyone is pretty much punctual although there were six of us).  I could not remember the names of all the dishes, so I will just describe it as it is.


This starter is extremely tasty!  Deep fried spiced onions with curry leaves.  It was hot when it arrived at the table.  Tastewise, it was not spicy hot so it is suitable for everyone.  There's a slight crunch to it and the sweetness of the onions and spices really balance it off.  We enjoyed this dish very much that we ordered two portions :P


The pakoras were good too.  The pastry was firm and not too flaky.  The filling was packed with potatoes, peas and mince.  We ordered another portion of this as well :)


The naan bread was hot when it arrived with all the other dishes that we ordered.  I lost count of the number of portions that we ordered as we started with two baskets initially.  We did that as we wanted the naan to be hot instead of it sitting around waiting to be consumed.  We ordered a saffron rice as well but I had forgotten to take a shot.  One of us mentioned that the rice was rather tasteless but collectively we agreed that with all the dishes that we were having it with, it worked out fine.


This is a fish dish.  It was really tasty and the fish was tender.  The gravy is rich and thick so some people may not like it very much but I do ;)

Aloo Gobi


Lamb Kheema

The Aloo Gobi was decent, usually most places can't go wrong with this dish anyway.  The lamb kheema was delicious.  Again, just the right amount of spices and not too overpowering. I love it!  Well, maybe because I love lamb... 


I think this is Chicken Tikka.  The chicken was tender, the gravy was flavourful, creamy, thick and rich without being too spicy.  It was good.


This Palak Paneer (spinach and paneer cheese)  seems to be the favourite of one of my friends.  She really enjoyed it very much.  I had a taste and it was good too.  It was flavourful although it's just spinach.  However, another friend did not have it as she doesn't like the look.  I guessed it's due to the colour and consistency :D

Ah, the Rogan Josh is my favourite!  The lamb was tender, the gravy was delicious and it just tasted great.  I really enjoyed this with my naan.  A must order!

The Chicken Vindaloo was fortunately not as spicy and hot as the ones in the UK :).  It definitely did not burn our tongue and the chicken was tender and the gravy has just the right amount of spice.

I just had a taste of the dessert as I am not really a dessert person.  However, I was pleasantly surprised that it was not as sweet as what you would usually have in an Indian restaurant.  The dough was moist and not dry.  It was actually very decent that another friend finished her portion and mine :)

All in all, we had a fabulous lunch.  I think the food was very good and I guess having wonderful company helps to make the food tastes even better.  I would definitely come again to Indian House.

Ratings:

Starters
Deep fried spiced onions: 9/10
Pakoras: 8/10

Main dishes
Chicken Tikka 8.5/10
Aloo Gobi: 7/10
Lamb Kheema: 9/10
Fish Curry: 8/10
Chicken Tikka: 8.5/10
Palaak Paneer: 8/10
Rogan Josh: 9/10
Chicken Vindaloo: 8.5/10

 INDIAN HOUSE
- Authentic Indian Cuisine
49 Boat Quay Singapore 049838
Tel: +65 64384971 




No comments:

Post a Comment