Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Indo Padang

My search for good Indonesian food in Singapore is an ongoing process.  I was in Cathay Building during one lunchtime and decided to try this place.  Surprisingly, Cathay Building is quiet during lunchtime so I guess if you are looking for somewhere that's not chaotic in the city, head there.  

Indo Padang serves ala carte and also set lunches.  You can enjoy a 4-course set meal from just $25.90++ for 2, and choose dishes such as Oxtail Soup, Beef Rendang, Mutton Curry and Sayur Lodeh.  So, price wise it's very reasonable.  When I got there, there were only one other table occupied at 1pm and I waited nearly 30 minutes for the food.  Probably some dishes were freshly cooked, so I wasn't complaining.
The Beef Rendang was the more Indonesian type but I think they tweak it slightly to suit the local palate.  I must say that it's quite nice but wished that the meat could have been slightly more tender.  The sauce was not too sweet and has all the flavourful spices.  The Sayur Lodeh has just a dash of coconut milk, which is great as it's light and has a slight sourish taste.  I suspect there's a bit of asam (tamarind) in it.  It does not taste like the conventional Singapore type Sayur Lodeh but personally I think it's rather good. 




The Daging Belado was good but sooo spicy!  I was tearing!  Again, it could do with the meat being more tender.  This dish consists of green chillies being pounded to a paste and mix with the beef.  It was seriously too hot for me.  The Egg Sambal was ordinary and the Begedil (potato patties)  was average.  The Sambal Kangkung was freshly fried, so it was crunchy and very tasty too.




There were quite a number of people who walked in later to have a meal or to take away.  I noticed the two staff was friendly and helpful.  Generally, I think the food is decent though not outstanding. 

*Halal

Ratings:
Beef Rendang: 8/10
Sayur Lodeh:  7/10
Daging Belado: 8/10
Sambal Telur:  5/10
Begedil: 5.5/10
Sambal Kangkung: 8/10


B1-19 Cathay Building

Tel: +65 6732 1679

Operating Hours: 12.00pm – 10pm

No comments:

Post a Comment