Friday, February 4, 2011

Fika Swedish Cafe & Bistro




This pretty cafe caught my attention as I was walking around Arab Street after lunch one day. So I put it in my mental note to try it next time. When my friend and I decided to catch up for lunch after having not seen each other for two years and he suggested Fika Cafe, I immediately said yes.

When we got there around 12.30pm on a Saturday, some of the tables were already occupied. We sat at a table and was immediately attended by the staff. Since the Swedish are known for their meatballs, I decided to give it a try. My friend decided to have the grilled salmon. It didn't take long for our food to arrive and that was appreciated as my friend got to rush off to work after lunch.

When my dish arrived, I thought the meatballs itself looked a bit dry. It was served with salad , potatoes, brown gravy and lingon berry sauce on the side. Although it looked dry, it was tasty and when eaten together with the gravy, it was very nice. The lingon berry sauce was also just right, not too sweet or too tart. The salad had a light dressing on it and the boiled potatoes were decent. My friend's grilled salmon looked nice. Although, he mentioned that it could do with more sides. I will come back next time and try the other dishes and I will definitely update you.

By the time we left, most of the tables were occupied so I think this is a good sign. Personally, I think there should be more halal cafe or restaurants like this and better, serving western food in a decent set up. They have their menu on their website, so have a look...

*Halal

Rating:
Swedish meatballs: 8/10

No. 257 Beach Road / Arab Street, Singapore
(on the corner of Beach Road and Arab Street)
Tel: +65 6396 9096
www.fikacafe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment