Saturday, June 11, 2011

Private Affairs

I've been wanting to try out this restaurant for a while after I heard about it from a good friend last year.  So, I decided to head there for lunch one afternoon.

The frontage of the restaurant looks really nice.  I like the old shophouses around Joo Chiat as I think they have great character compared to all the swishy malls in town.  As I entered, there was no one at the "reception" and after about a good two minutes, a staff appeared and led us to our table. A group of guys were having business lunch but otherwise, no one else.


My foie gras appetiser was well done.  Crispy on the outside and soft in the inside.  However, it was slightly underdone in the centre, so I left it.  The salmon was fresh and tasted good but a bit on the small side.  The combination of seaweed and caviar was interesting to the palate. 


The snapper was fresh, with tasty crispy skin.  Although we find it a little salty but the slight turmeric taste (I think) is nice.  If they tone down slightly on the salt, it would've been perfect.  The oxtail was tender and had a good flavour together with the mushrooms.  The mash was light and the portion was just right for me but some may feel it's too little. 

I must say all the dishes were presented very well.  The staff were friendly and they were not too much "in your face".  The deco was nice and I think it's a suitable place for a business lunch or a leisurely meal with friends as you are not rushed.  I think it is a decent place though I was told that they will be moving to another venue in town this year.  That's quite a shame as it would be nice to have more choices of nice looking restaurants with decent food in the East Coast coast area...




Ratings:
Salmon: 8/10
Foie Gras: 8/10
Snapper: 7.5/10
Oxtail: 7.5/10

Service: 8/10

45 Joo Chiat Place
Singapore
Tel: +65 6440 0601


Opening Hours
Tue–Sat
Lunch: 11.30am – 2.30pm (Last sitting at 2pm)
Tue – Sun
Dinner: 6.30pm – 11.00pm (Last sitting at 10pm)
Sunday
Brunch: 11.30am – 3.30pm
(Closed on Mon)

1 comment:

  1. Looks very interesting but the size of the food won't fill my belly... :)

    ReplyDelete