Thursday, July 14, 2011

Gulf Beach Restaurant and Cafe

I was actually walking around Arab Street to look for very good briyani (my fave) one afternoon.  Saw what looks like could be an ok place and I was hungry, so decided to give this place a shot even though there's no briyani here.

We were given the menu and after placing our order, the waitress came back to inform me what I've ordered wasn't available on that day.  I ordered another dish and was told that wasn't available too.... So I ordered another dish and that was not available as well!!!  So I asked them what's available as it seems almost half of their main course selection was not available.  Anyway, decided on something they actually have and was observing the serving staff. 

The hummus was good... well, how can one go wrong with hummus?  The lamb that came with it was decent in taste,  even though it was a tad dry, but when you mixed it together with the hummus and the olive oil, it was palatable.

My main course of lamb and came with basmati rice was a disappointment.  The customers that afternoon were 90% middle easterners so one would expect it to be decent.  Unfortunately, it wasn't.  The lamb was very dry, not seasoned well and the basmati rice was rather tasteless.  I ate it as I was hungry.  As you can see, there's no slight "glisten" on the rice that have been cooked with ghee...  I am not suggesting that it has to be mega oily but it has to "look" the part.  Plus, when I saw chilli sauce being served, I knew they are not serious about their food.  Fine and well to have some available in case you have a customer asking for it, but to serve it as part of your condiment tells you a lot about the chef.

Well, the restaurant was full.  The Filipino servers were not well informed of what is available on the menu and kept going back and forth checking with the other staff.  There were not so many seats but the servers couldn't cope.  It is such a shame when you can pull in the crowd and doubt they will be back...

Ratings:
Hummus: 6.5/10
Lamb with Basmati Rice:  3/10

41 Arab Street
Tel: 292 2330

Service: 4/10

1 comment: